Monday, May 2, 2011

FINAL - Week 3 - Use of Colour


After presenting the model last week, I noted that the model was extremely week. After speaking with my tutor, we noted that Le Corbusier could have used full height glass, as it was a free plan. Instead he used captured portioned views. I then wanted to emulate this within a model, hence I started brainstorming more and the finished product is above.

As my concept of last week suggested, Le Corbusier uses colour to bring the landscape into the house. This is done as the main colour he uses is white, and the landscape that surrounds him is green, hence the colours jump towards the person, creating the illusion the landscape is within the building. For this reason I wanted to keep the building inverted.

I created a glass box that represents the external façade. I then placed a roof on top to make the person move their eye to the level below this to experience the model. After the Villa Savoye was built, architects designed building with full height walls as glass, as they were non-structural due to the domino system. As I stated above, Le Corbusier could have had full height glass, however he wanted framed portioned views of the landscape. For this reason there is an opaque material placed to show the Villa Savoye.

I thought that this was an interesting conceptual model. I personally felt that it was interesting, as it allowed me to compare and contrast one of the first building used via the domino effect to buildings post Villa Savoye. I personally like the idea of framed views, as we appreciate the landscape as an artwork, rather than just a view outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment