Friday, April 29, 2011

Week 1 - Use of landscape


When looking at the building, I noticed that there was alot of external space within the footprint of the building. Usually, houses are built, and they have the house spanning on all the footprint, with minimal exterior space within this footprint. Then they will have a garden outside, which brings there floor to space ratio down. After thinking about this I wanted to discover how much external habitable space there was within the footprint of the building.

I started to do calculations that can be seen if you zoom in on the text within the image above. I noticed that there is actually more external space then the footprint, and this is not even including the flat roof that is not tiled. If that was included the figure would be even larger. As external habitable space to footprint, it was 1.03%. This figure astonished me and I tried to think of another building like that and I was unable as I have not learnt of any yet.

I presented these findings through mapping out the external space within the building. This gives a visual representation of it. After presenting to the tutor we discussed many things, one of which was that in most building, we rarely measure the footprint of the building, and compare that to the external space, but rather we would usually measure internal to external space. From this point I then set myself the task of discovering the measurements of these factors, and if it was something out of the ordinary, then I would progress with the idea. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment